The fence will also keep our little dog safe and inside. We have coyotes, foxes, bobcats and mountain lions in the area. Additionally, in the future, we will have chickens and maybe some little pigs or goats and we want them to be safe from predators as well.
The fence provides structure for vines and other plants, which we are planting a lot of! This will serve as a wind break to reduce evaporation and provide additional shade. Additionally, the fence defines a fire break on both sides of the predominant wind directions.
Our fence is comprised of:
- Poles are re-purposed well casing (I think it is 1.5"), super cheap and last super long, pounded into ground about every 8 feet
- 5 foot tall deer and wildlife fence, woven wire so it is easy to contour along uneven ground, holes go from small at the bottom to large at the top
- 2x bare wire strands stretched horizontally above main fence, 1 foot spacing, to be sure the deer don't jump over
- 2 foot tall gopher fence (a type of chicken wire), 3-4 inches underground, then secured to main fence, to keep rabbits out and pets in
- 2 foot expanded steel lath buried in ground, sprinkled hot chili pepper powder in bottom of trench to repel gophers
- Large gates are steep tubing and small gates are re-purposed wood
- Bamboo wedged into gates to keep deer from jumping over
The whole fence took about 7 days of work, most of those days with 2-4 people working. It should last many decades. Thanks to those that helped! Now lets grow some food!
Link to Facebook page